That’s “fix” as in a desperate fulfillment of a need. Most of my author friends and colleagues have a borderline obsession with a little something called “Amazon Sales Ranking” (ASR- Street name “Ranking”). I’m among this group of pathetic addicts that can’t get enough of measuring our self-worth through the sales rankings of our books on the world’s biggest online purveyor of books. It’s like watching the score of a championship football or basketball game, only this game never ends.
Some authors will deny having a Ranking addiction, but most of them are lying. They don’t want you to know that the first thing they do in the morning is go to the Amazon website and look up their book’s Ranking -The higher the Ranking the better the emotional high. If your Ranking is low, a sinking depression begins your day. Some have such a bad Ranking addiction that they will check every hour, even wake up in the middle of the night to get their Ranking fix. If you have several books on Amazon, you could spend all day Ranking.
For those authors brave enough to admit you have a Ranking problem, I have a little present for you. I discovered a website called Metric Junkie that will track your Amazon Rankings for you. It’s pretty cool. It won’t help you stop Ranking, but it will give you all your ranks at once, you can even track Rankings of other books.
I pulled this from their “Features” page:
- FREE to use
- HOURLY AUTOMATIC COLLECTION of Amazon “Sales Rank” for books you track
- VIBRANT INTERACTIVE GRAPHS present your “Sales Rank in a meaningful way, allowing you to quickly determine the effectiveness of your sales promotions, media campaigns, & social networking buzz
- USER-FRIENDLY INTERFACE cleanly displays information in an intuiative and easy to follow format
- CHA-CHINGER™ TECHNOLOGY shows you when a sale has occurred for any book you track
- MARKET SHARE APPROXIMATOR™ shows you how your product stacks-up against your competitions
- GROUPS allow you to organize your collection into smaller more manageable categories
- PRINTABLE CHARTS allow you to take your information with you to review off-line at your favorite coffee house
So, there you have it, safe Ranking via Metric Junkie. Use it wisely, and remember, you’re still a good person even if your Ranking sucks.