- I told you the Saints would score 31 points! (I forget the rest of my prediction.)
Awesome halftime show!
Worst Super Bowl commercials ever!
I’m living my life outside the blogosphere these days, so my activity is going to be a little spotty for a little while. That being said, I know you’re dying to know who I think is going to win the Super Bowl. Okay, maybe not dying… maybe you have a passing interest… Okay, maybe you don’t care…. wow, that hurt. Thanks for your support.
Any-who, for some reason the trendy pick among the so-called football experts is the New Orleans Saints, and I am baffled. I have this feeling that they are picking based on sentiment and not facts. I’m not going to make the same mistake. The Colts will win. I’m not even sure it’s going to be a close game. Here’s why:
- Peyton Manning – Do I really have to explain this? He’s Peyton “Freakin” Manning.
- The Saints’ defense – They are ranked towards the bottom of all defensive stats with the exception of one, takeaways. That’s how they’ve dictated the pace and outcome of a lot of their games this year. You can’t game plan based on the number of interceptions and fumbles you’ll get.
- The Saints’ defense – I know I already said that, but by all indications the Saints are going to come after Manning. That will work for a quarter, maybe two. Eventually, he will figure it out and make you pay. The Saints think they can hit Manning and get inside his head. That works when you’re playing aging QBs who aren’t known for their cerebral play. When you have a QB who’s greatest talent is his mind, it’s a sure fire way to get beat and get beat badly.
- The Colt’s Receivers – They are going to punish the Saints’ secondary. Too much speed, perfect routes, you name it, the Colts’ receivers are superior in every way.
Final score – Colts 42 – Saints 31
I’ve been watching football attentively for almost 30 years now. You would think I would have learned a thing or two along the way, but apparently, I’m as clueless now as I was the first game I actually sat down and paid attention to. Nevertheless, that has never stopped me from sharing my opinions on all things pigskin. Here’s what I’ve observed so far this season:
College: The Florida Gators are a great football team, but they are not the number one team in the country. I know it’s theirs to lose, but they’ve yet to play a top 25 opponent, and their vaunted defense has looked inconsistent at times. I think Alabama is the number one team in the country, and oh by the way, Boise State could end the season at number two. They dismantled an Oregon team the first game of the year so badly that we all thought Oregon was a really bad team. Turns out, Oregon is pretty darn good. Oregon may very well win the PAC 10. If Oregon wins out and Boise State wins out, it’s going to be tough to keep Boise State out of the National Championship game (mythical as it may be). I’m picking LSU to lose this week, and Alabama will eliminate Florida or if I’m wrong about Florida, they will eliminate Alabama. Texas has a gauntlet of games left that include Oklahoma and a conference championship if they make it that far. There are a lot of chances for Boise State to take that number two spot.
NFL: I’ve watched two Colts’ games this year, and I have to tell you, I’ve never seen Peyton Manning this relaxed. He’s always been able to manage a game better than anybody, but this year he’s managing games better than even Peyton Manning. When Bob Sanders comes back, the defense will up its game, and the Colts will be hard to keep out of the Super Bowl. The scary thing is the Giants are looking good, too. Their running game is awesome, and their defense can dominate a game. We could have a Manning brothers’ Super Bowl this year. BTW – My Panthers suck! Tim Tebow could be a Carolina Panther next year… if we didn’t give away our first round pick.
Fantasy: Proof positive I have no idea what I’m talking about. The team I complained about earlier this year is 3-0. I tweaked the roster a little, but not enough to make the claim that I’m a fantasy football genius. The other team where I spent time lining up the picks for the draft is 1-2. And that one win was by the skin of my fantasy teeth.